What Type of Sex Crime Charges Does Lotze Mosley LLP Defend in Washington, D.C.?
Lotze Mosley’s team of Washington, D.C. Sex Crimes attorneys have defended people charged with sex crimes ranging from misdemeanor sexual abuse to first-degree sexual abuse while armed. Other crimes we have defended include:
- Statutory rape
- Indecent exposure
- Pandering, or Pimping
- Child pornography
Our Washington DC sex crimes lawyers also have experience handling charges involving adult and child sexual abuse.
What Are Penalties for Committing Sex Crimes in Washington D.C. and Maryland?
In Washington D.C., absent any aggravating circumstances, the maximum penalty for unarmed first-degree sexual abuse is 30 years. For unarmed second-degree sex abuse, the maximum penalty is 20 years. For the third degree, the maximum is 10 years. For the fourth degree, it is 5 years. Misdemeanor sex abuse carries a maximum penalty of 180 days incarceration.
In Maryland, the penalties range from life without parole for the most serious, which includes first-degree rape, to one year of incarceration for fourth-degree misdemeanor sex abuse.
Registering as a Sex Offender if Convicted of Sex Crimes
Sex offender registration is required if you are convicted of all sex crimes, aside from a few, such as misdemeanor sexual abuse involving an adult complainant. The registration period can range from ten years to life.
Sex offenses involving minors as the complaining witness all require registration as a sex offender. This is a requirement no matter the degree of the crime.
How Can You Help the Innocent Charged with Sex Crimes in Washington, D.C.?
If you have been charged with a sex crime but did not commit it, obtaining aggressive legal representation is important.
Many sex offense charges come down to one person’s word versus another’s word, unfortunately. To combat this, you need a Washington, D.C. sex crimes attorney that has investigators prepared to conduct a thorough investigation, interview any witnesses, secure surveillance footage, investigate witness backgrounds, and establish a defense.
If scientific evidence is involved, a Washington DC sex crime attorney who is familiar with the terminology is important. Additionally, the Washington DC sex crimes attorney should be familiar with the government’s use of experts, and the different ways the expert may be able to provide the defense with tools to use in challenging and defending against any DNA evidence.
Our Washington, D.C. criminal lawyers have helped people who were suspected or accused of committing:
- Drug Crimes
- Gun Crimes
- Violent Crimes
- Traffic Offenses, such as driving under the influence
How Washington, D.C. Sex Crimes Lawyers at Lotze Mosley LLP Can Help
Our team of Washington, D.C. criminal defense attorneys have successfully defended individuals who have been charged with the most serious sexual offenses. Our aggressive legal representation coupled with our resources, such as experienced investigators and experts, allows our Washington DC sex crimes lawyer to secure positive jury verdicts for even the most serious of sex crime charges. We are also skilled in negotiating favorable plea agreements for our clients. Call us today for assistance with your Washington, D.C. sex crimes charge (202) 393-0535.
- Security Guard Charged with Sexual Abuse
- Mounting a Successful Sex Crimes Defense in The #MeToo Era
- Was It a Sex Crime or Was It Consensual?
- What Should I Do If I Am Falsely Accused of a Sex Crime?
- When Am I Required To Register As A Sex Offender in Washington D.C.?
- Social Media Exchange Leads to Sex Crime Allegations Against Maryland Track Coach
- Court Acquits Teacher in Sex Crimes Defense Case
- Insufficient Evidence Against Suspect According to Sex Crimes Defense Attorney
- New Ruling on Consent Boosts Sex Crimes Defense
- Consult an Attorney When Charged with a Sex Crime
- What Are the Different Types of Prostitution Charges in Maryland?
- How Do the Courts Identify the Classes of Sex Offenders in Washington D.C.?
- Can Law Enforcement Collect My DNA Without a Warrant in California?
- Recent Sex Crime Verdicts