Are Texting or Cellphone Violations Criminal Offenses In Washington D.C.?
Many people believe when traffic accidents occur due to distracted driving, including texting or cellphone violations, they are only are a civil issue — one for insurance companies and personal injury attorneys to sort through — not criminal offenses that require representation by criminal defense attorneys.
While DUI or drunk driving charges may be the most commonly recognized traffic offenses that require a criminal defense attorney, the list of criminal offenses that can occur behind the wheel is growing as technology becomes more prevalent.
In Washington D.C., it is illegal — for all motorists — to use a cellphone or other electronic device when is not equipped with a hands-free accessory any time the vehicle is in motion.
When motorists are stopped for using these devices, the first and second violations result in fines and with the third, a license suspension.
So, why would anyone need a Washington DC DUI attorney for texting or cellphone violations in Washington D.C.?
The Dangerous Facts Behind Distracted Driving And Their Criminal Charges
The truth is, distracted driving — including texting and cellphone use behind the wheel — is becoming a deadly epidemic throughout the country.
According to the CDC, throughout the country, every day, crashes reported to involve a distracted driver cause:
- Approximately nine deaths
- More than 1,000 injuries
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration lists that:
- 9.5% of all fatal crashes over the past six years involved a distracted driver
- Distracted driving claimed 3,166 lives last year alone in the U.S.
The texting or cellphone violation penalties are enforced more harshly in Washington D.C. when they lead to:
- Property damages of at least $10,000
- Substantial bodily harm to another person
- Death of another person
These violations carry up to $1,000 in fines, and/or a maximum of 180 days in jail.
If the death of another person results from one of these violations, negligent homicide charges may be filed against the driver.
How Can Lotze Mosley, LLP Help Me With A Washington D.C. Texting or Cellphone Violation Criminal Defense?
Each case that our law firm takes is unique and requires a full investigation and evaluation to determine the best way to proceed to counter the prosecutor’s office and the charges waged against you. If you have been in a distracted driving accident where criminal charges were brought against you, you are going to need an accomplished criminal defense attorney to ensure your rights and best interests are upheld inside and outside the courtroom.
At Lotze Mosley, LLP, our experienced criminal defense attorneys in Washington D.C. have provided successful outcomes for clients who were charged with all types of criminal offenses, and we can pursue positive results for you or a family member who has been criminally charged with a texting or cellphone violation. Contact our accomplished lawyers today at 202-393-0535 to discuss your unique circumstances and learn how we can help protect your rights throughout the legal process.
DUI Defense Resources:
- Top DUI/DWI Mistakes Made by Law Enforcement
- Understanding Your Options in a DUI Case
- The Cost of Facing A DUI Charge Without An Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney
- Maryland DUI Laws Updated as Noah’s Law Takes Effect This Month
- US Supreme Court Confirms DUI Defense against Warrantless Blood Tests
- Degree of Alcohol Impairment as DUI/OWI Defense in D.C.
- Defective Breath-Testing Device as DUI/DWI Defense
- Man Faces Murder Charges for DUI/OWI Crash
- Penalties for DUI in Maryland and Washington DC
- What Are the Terms of DUI Probation in Washington D.C. and Maryland?
- Can I Go to Jail for Driving on a Suspended or Revoked License in Maryland?
- What to Do If Your High School or College Kid is Arrested for DUI in Washington D.C. or Maryland
- Do I Need to Tell My Employer I Was Arrested for Driving Under the Influence?
- Recent DUI Verdicts
- How Long Does A Maryland Or Washington D.C. Dui Stay On Your Record?
- Experienced Washington D.C. Suspended License Attorneys