At Lotze Mosley, LLP, our DUI defense attorneys in Washington D.C. and Maryland know when someone is convicted of driving under the influence, their whole life changes.
That is why we work tirelessly to pursue positive outcomes for each of our clients.
If you have already been convicted of a DUI, you understand the immediate consequences of the charges. But you are probably wondering, how far-reaching is this conviction?
How long will a DUI stay on your Maryland or Washington D.C. driving record or be visible during a criminal background check?
Our experienced criminal defense attorneys have answers.
How Long Will a DUI Stay On Your Maryland Driving Record?
It is important to understand that each Maryland DUI conviction is unique and occurs under different circumstances, which will dictate the severity of the charges — especially if the driver has a previous DUI conviction on their record.
Generally speaking, the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration designates 12 points for a DUI and eight points for a DWI, unless there is a legal agreement to probation before judgment.
In Maryland, these points will remain on your driving record for three years from the violation date and are considered “current” to anyone who views it, including the public, employers, and insurance providers until that time elapses.
Can I Have a Maryland DUI Conviction Expunged From My Record?
A DWI or DUI conviction is eligible to be expunged from your criminal record in Maryland.
That means that Maryland’s drunk driving convictions will remain accessible by law enforcement officials and others who conduct detailed background checks going forward.
How Long Will a DUI Stay On Your Washington D.C. Driving Record?
In Washington, D.C., a DUI conviction remains on an individual’s driving record for ten years.
Under D.C.’s points system, drivers with a DUI have assessed 12 points and extra penalties.
Can I Have a Washington D.C. DUI Conviction Expunged From My Record?
Like Maryland’s laws, a DUI conviction in Washington D.C. is ineligible for expungement.
Have You Been Charged with a DUI in Maryland or Washington D.C.? We Can Help. Contact our experienced criminal defense attorneys in Washington D.C. and Maryland at Lotze Mosley, LLP to determine the best course of action for your unique case by calling 202-393-0535 today.
DUI Defense Resources:
- Top DUI/DWI Mistakes Made by Law Enforcement
- Texting or Cellphone Violations Criminal Offenses
- Understanding Your Options in a DUI Case
- The Cost of Facing A DUI Charge Without An Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney
- Maryland DUI Laws Updated as Noah’s Law Takes Effect This Month
- US Supreme Court Confirms DUI Defense against Warrantless Blood Tests
- Degree of Alcohol Impairment as DUI/OWI Defense in D.C.
- Defective Breath-Testing Device as DUI/DWI Defense
- Man Faces Murder Charges for DUI/OWI Crash
- Penalties for DUI in Maryland and Washington DC
- What Are the Terms of DUI Probation in Washington D.C. and Maryland?
- Can I Go to Jail for Driving on a Suspended or Revoked License in Maryland?
- What to Do If Your High School or College Kid is Arrested for DUI in Washington D.C. or Maryland
- Do I Need to Tell My Employer I Was Arrested for Driving Under the Influence?
- Recent DUI Verdicts
- Experienced Washington D.C. Suspended License Attorneys