Table of Contents
At Lotze Mosley, LLP, our experienced criminal defense attorneys in Washington D.C. and Maryland inform our clients immediately upon taking their cases that drug crimes are serious and may carry life-changing penalties, including steep fines and jail time.
Depending on the scale, location, type, and amount of drugs and money involved, they may even be prosecuted under federal laws.
No matter where you were arrested, or with what type of drugs, you have the right to an attorney, so you can begin building your defense, as an arrest or indictment does not automatically mean you are guilty.
What is Drug Distribution?
Anyone who possesses drugs with the intent to distribute, distributes, manufactures, sells, or dispenses a controlled dangerous substance can be arrested for the crime.
These controlled dangerous substances can vary widely and are categorized by schedules based on their medical designation, and potential for abuse or dependence.
Schedule I Controlled Dangerous Substances
These drugs have no medical use, and a high potential for abuse, including:
- Bath Salts
- Marijuana, except when prescribed by a licensed physician for specific medical use
Schedule II Controlled Dangerous Substances
These drugs have a high potential for abuse and may lead to psychological or physical dependence, including:
Schedule III Controlled Dangerous Substances
These drugs have less abuse potential than the previous two scheduled categories, are accepted for medical use, and may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence, including:
- Anabolic steroids
- Tylenol with codeine
Schedule IV Controlled Dangerous Substances
These drugs have a low potential for abuse when compared with the other scheduled categories, and have some medical use, including:
At Lotze Mosley, LLP, our drug crimes defense attorneys in Washington D.C. and Maryland will evaluate your case and previous criminal record, when applicable, to determine the best strategy for your unique criminal defense, so together we can pursue the best outcome for your case.
What are the Defenses for Drug Distribution in Maryland & Washington D.C.?
The prosecutor has the burden of proof that the items in question are a controlled dangerous substance, that you acted knowingly and purposely while manufacturing, distributing, dispensing, or possessing the drug with intent to distribute.
While each drug crimes case we represent is unique, some of the most common criminal defense strategies may include:
- Petitioning the court to suppress evidence that was obtained during an illegal search and seizure
- Contest that there probable cause for the traffic stop that resulted in the search
- Argue that improper police procedures were used or errors were made
- Challenge the possession of the controlled dangerous substance
- Question the validity of test results and lab equipment
- Dispute the intent to sell or distribute by contesting the evidence
- Establish if there were racial, socio-economic, or other biases related to the stop, search, and arrest
- Disqualify evidence to establish reasonable doubt or that evidence has been tampered with
Call Lotze Mosley, LLP Today
If you have been charged with a drug crime, contact our experienced criminal defense attorneys in Washington D.C. and Maryland at Lotze Mosley, LLP to determine the best course of action for your unique case by calling (202) 393-0535 today.